Recent Posts

New Jersey Estate Tax: What You Should Know
Estate Planning for Same Sex Couples
The Court Grants Motion to Suppress Good Case For The Defense Bar
Racial Profiling--4th Amendment Injustice related to evidence supporessed
No Crack Reduction for Career Offenders Even if Sentence is Based On the Crack Range

Categories

Criminal Law
Current Events
Introduction of Jason Matey's blog
Speedy Trial Defense not triggered after 27 month delay
Wills: The Basics
powered by

My Blog

Racial Profiling--4th Amendment Injustice related to evidence supporessed

In United States v. Navedo, No. 11-3413 (3d Cir. Sept. 12, 2012), http://www.ca3.uscourts.gov/opinarch/113413p.pdf, undercover officers were parked on a block in Newark, which was not found to be a high crime area, but in which there were two, recent unrelated incidents involving guns: two months before a shooting occurred, and one month before there was a domestic violence report of a man threatening a woman with a gun.

The officers observed the defendant, whom they did not know, come out of a multi-unit building and stand on the porch. Two men approached, and the defendant walked down from the porch to speak with them. The conversation appeared ordinary and then one of the approaching men took from his backpack and showed to the defendant what appeared to be a gun. The officers approached and the men ran. The defendant ran into the building, up two flights of stairs, and attempted to enter his apartment. Officers tackled him in the doorway to the apartment and there were weapons in plain view.

The Third Circuit reversed the District Court's denial of suppression. (McKee, J.) The Court reaffirmed that reasonable suspicion for a Terry search is specific to the person who is detained. Until the officers approached, the defendant had looked at the gun a third party showed him and also engaged in a brief conversation. Officers had no information that would support a reasonable suspicion the defendant was engaged in arms trafficking and knew of nothing to connect him to prior criminal activity.

From these facts, the officers did not have reasonable suspiciion to detain and investigate. Unprovoked flight, without more, only elevates reasonable suspicion into probable cause to arrest if officers have reasonable suspicion. Judge Hardiman dissented, finding the record supported the District Court's finding that officers had reasonable suspicion to believe the defendant was about to engage in a gun transaction, and so, coupled with the defendant’s flight, which given the circumstances could be interpreted as evidence of a guilty conscience, gave the police probable cause to arrest.

Jason Charles Matey, Esq.

10 Comments to Racial Profiling--4th Amendment Injustice related to evidence supporessed :

Comments RSS
Alejandro on Sunday, November 11, 2012 3:13 AM
I had keen interest to know about criminal law which is so handy for increasing the power for getting the peaceful living. Through this post I have got what I wanted to know. Thanks...
Reply to comment

louis vuitton sale on Wednesday, November 21, 2012 2:16 AM
Other people, so that you can adequately-off all and in depth adequately, earning a living a part great purchase class adequately make-on,gradually, chosen damages your entire body will likely not illustrate,even if or perhaps not income,could flawlessly aspect it beginning a heath procedure procedure replace. He then in not possible receive a connected information and facts located-design, and perhaps dealing with a issue. An genuine no-shopper or a good amount of young women, is shortage of know-how.
Reply to comment

gucci scarf sale on Wednesday, November 21, 2012 5:55 AM
I like your article, let I can learn a lot of things, also can be in on the road after inspired. I hope you continue to work hard, write more articles, I have paid attention to and support you. Come on!
Reply to comment

bicycle accident compensation nsw on Monday, February 04, 2013 7:42 AM
You have described this amendment very well and noticing all the related points very well which are related to this injustice amendment law.
Reply to comment

Car accident lawyer sydney on Friday, April 12, 2013 2:29 AM
Very useful and very informative. Thanks and do share some more posts if you have!
Reply to comment

Red cross bracelet on Sunday, April 14, 2013 3:36 PM
I like what you guys are up too. Such smart work and reporting! Carry on the excellent works guys I incorporated you guys to my blogroll. I think it will improve the value of my website :)
Reply to comment

Sheps and associates pllc on Wednesday, May 08, 2013 4:41 AM
I think the information covered in the blog about law firm is quiet important and brilliantly conveyed. Good job and great efforts. Keep it up.
Reply to comment

san diego divorce on Wednesday, May 15, 2013 6:41 AM
Enormous information in one blog post, I just love it. I must appreciate and mention that you completely know how to keep connected reader to blog post even if it is little long. Very good job.
Reply to comment

Legislative Advocacy New York on Thursday, May 23, 2013 2:58 AM
Such quality content on Racial Profiling Amendment Injustice related to evidence suppressed ! I find this blog is very informative. I am waiting for your next post. Keep it up.
Reply to comment

OFAC on Friday, May 24, 2013 1:56 AM
A law firm may only focuses on certain kinds of law or they may deal with a variety of general law cases.Keep sharing. Best wishes for your further efforts.
Reply to comment